1. Integrate clinical and basic research across disciplines
2. Engage in pre-clinical gene therapy research
3. Translate pre-clinical research to phase I trials
4. Offer gene therapy trials to the residents of Northern Louisiana
5. Raise the national profile of the LSUHSC-S
SHORT TERM Completed
1. Develop a Morphology Core Facility.
2. Develop a Vector Development/Production Core Facility for small scale/research grade materials.
3. Develop a Histology/Tissue Acquisition Core Facility.
4. Develop an Animal Imaging Core Facility.
5. Develop a Clinical Trials Facility.
Renovation of hospital wing
Construction of Research pharmacy
6. Form Gene Therapy Internal/External Advisory Boards.
MEDIUM TERM Ongoing
1. Identify and recruit existing gene therapy clinical trials.
2. Develop new clinical gene therapy trials from pre-clinical studies.
3. Form collaborations within the biotechnology industry.
4. Identify and support potential translational gene therapy projects with seed funding.
5. Recruit new faculty for the Gene Therapy Program.
6. Develop new graduate courses in biotechnology.
7. Identify and obtain renewable extramural funding support.
LONG TERM Proposed
1. Develop a Biotechnology Training Program.
2. Identify and obtain renewable extramural funding support.
3. Commercialize gene therapy applications.